Friday, April 18, 2014

Nerd Online

Next on the A to Z challenge is N and O for Nerd Online


Please note, I have't asked permission to use this amge


The image above from laughing squid by Craig Newmark definitely clarifies a few things for me.
Obsession - Education
Intelligence - I am a firm believer in having a growth mindset, so I have gone out of my way to 'grow my intelligence'
Social Ineptitude - Happiest on my own, definitely an introvert
So... obsession + intelligence + social ineptitude = nerd or at the very least, a geek.

I thought I would take a moment to share some of the source of my daily inspiration towards greater nerdhood with you.

  1. Steve Mouldey started challenging my thinking the year before last through being a super star Twitter connection. He reads like a machine, is enthusiastic and looks for inspiration in all kinds of places. He now has the desk next to mine at work and let me tell you, he inspires, challenges and questions your thinking even better in person.
  2. Matt Nicoll is possibly the most loyal #edchatNZ participant. He has great ideas and takes inspirational risks in his science classroom. Great to have inspiration in my subject field!
  3. One of my favourite places for inspiration is Zite. It's a great way to get all kinds of exciting education (and other) updates from all over the world. The thumbs up thumbs down system means that my feed is completely customised with articles that I enjoy. 
  4. Of course, don't forget Pinterest for a bit of visual inspiration for great teaching ideas. Here is my science board, maths board and general teaching board, all ready to inspire a great lesson at a drop of a hat.
  5. Of course, I must include Dan Meyer in my lists of inspiration. The man always has food for thought on his blog. Over the next two weeks I will begin working on my masters proposal, a proposal heavily inspired by Dan Meyer. I'd love to know if there is a poster child for science education the way that Dan is for maths education. If you know of anyone, I'd love to know.
So there you go, some people and places to look into for a bit of inspiration if like me, you are a nerd online too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment