Tuesday, February 10, 2015

My Time

One of my areas of responsibility at Hobsonville Secondary School is My Time. Below is a video that explains this 3 times, one hour, part of our timetable - I made the video today in under 28 minutes, and before 8am!

One of the reasons I am so passionate about My Time is that I firmly believe that students can not learn to be independent if we never give them the chance. If we structure every minute of their day, how are they to learn self management skills? If we tell them what to do, when to do it, how do they learn to make good decisions? In my opinion, school should be the place where students can learn to make decisions. This involves being allowed to make bad decisions, but then learning to deal with the consequences appropriately and learning to make a better decisions the next time. Wouldn't we rather our students learn to self manage, make mistakes, and pick themselves up in a supportive, safe environment than when they have responsibilities such as mortgages and families?




No comments:

Post a Comment